Monday, August 16, 2010

Independence Day


I know it was yesterday, but I wasn't free to write this, so bear with me. There were tons and tons of messages wishing me for Independence Day in my inbox (I am also not an exception, I simply forwarded some of those messages). I had also seen a very interesting program on TV where they interviewed our fellow youth about the importance of the day, whether they knew anything about some of the more famous freedom fighters, and the like. It irked me to no end, when except for a couple of students, none of them absolutely had any inkling to the great miseries our forefathers went through in rebuilding our nation. Even some of the middle aged men and elders didn't have much info about the struggle. All they were asking were - Name 5 freedom fighters. One girl went gaga and announced to the world Ajay Devgan, Aamir khan!! Wow, isn't that very interesting? I was fuming over some of the answers they gave; regarding our national flag, animals and many more which I will not prattle on about here.

The children only want sweets in ceremonies, the adults want holiday, the politicians only want their name to be announced to everyone when they hoist the flag, but why doesn't anybody want to hear about the legends who fell during the struggle?! During my schooldays, when they invited the freedom fighters to enlighten us about the old days, everyone began gossiping among themselves. Even my young cousins and nieces are not interested about it in the slightest. I feel angry, I think they are betraying the memories of our country, but I know the feeling will pass eventually.

The reason I tell this is, how many of us actually know anything about the blood and tears our forefathers (and mothers :) sacrificed so that their grand children and the likes could have a life which wasn't ruled by fear and oppression against the weak? I don't want you to think that I may know all about the freedom struggle; honestly I do not. I have only read text books and biographies of some freedom fighters when I was in school and the memory of those long nights with the good books are quite hazy now. My mom brought one book every month regarding our history and I used to devour through them as I am a major bibliophile. Also I had a great grandfather who actually took part in the freedom struggle and he used to tell all kinds of saddening stories regarding his younger days. Oh, how I am filled with pride over their great deeds even now.

The good people in our great nation called 'India' (what is wrong with the name 'Bharatha'? Never mind, I digress) go on protests and strikes in the name of freedom of expression and their birthrights. Do these people even know that the same constitution which has given them rights has also given them duties to protect ourselves and our fellow men against the inadequacies in our society? Not many care about anything other than their own well being.

While my mom was buying vegetables in the market (which is illegal) yesterday, I was left to ponder over the day to day life of these street traders whose only livelihood is selling their produce to keep their family afloat. Within a span of one hour, three different policemen came and demanded money from them. The poor blokes had to give into them as they really have no other choice. The people who are supposed to give protection are the harbingers of evil practices. If the authorities were really willing to change for the better, they would have built a space for them there; they tried by staging a protest a few years back! Now there's a sprawling apartment). At the basic level there's so much corruptness and oppression, then its no wonder we have still not achieved our true potential as a nation. Everybody think they are independent, but the truth is far from it.

By the looks of things to come, the Common Wealth Games may just bring a great shame to the country. I am hoping it will, so that we will improve the next time around. I have been rambling on about the things I feel very passionate about. I will end it now. Try to do small things which are righteous and virtuous, you will feel relieved and dignified even in old age and finally in death. Be proud to be an Indian.

8 comments:

ದಿನಕರ ಮೊಗೇರ said...

tumbaa chennaagi bareeteeraa...
kannadadalli yaake try maadabaaradu...

try maaDi....

Girish said...

@Dinakar: Thank u very much.
Kannadadalli yaake bareyodilla andre, nanage adaralli vaakya, uccharane sariyagi bareyuva confidence illa.
Maathanaaduvudu sulabha, bareyuvudu kashta.
Nimma blog chennagide :)

Chandrika Shubham said...

Happy Independence Day!

Its really sad that these days youngsters do not know the name of 5 freedom fighters and can tell the name of 500 film stars.

Karthik said...

You are definitely right.
Even I don't know much about our freedom fighters, but I understand their sacrifices and am very proud of what they did.

I am also proud to be an Indian. Very good post :D

Girish said...

@Chandrika:
Thank u.
You are absolutely right.
They also asked film stars names in the same program to the same guys & they told a ton of names!! So sad...

Girish said...

@Karthik: Yes, being proud of who we are and staying true to our beliefs is very important.
You need not know about their names, but one should give respect to them for all the miseries they endured in hopes of a better future.
Thank you..

Lakshminarayan Kashyap said...

A nation's attitude and the future implicitly lies on the shoulders of the youth.
But whats happenening to our youngsters(even though i am one too!)?
Its really sad that we as future citizens have not understood atleast half of our duties as citizens, but we only are experts at carrying ourselves through times where we let lose our patriotism to avoid taking risks at crucial times!
Just think about how much we know about the rules which describe how a national flag should be managed with!
God bless our clelbrity lovin youth and patriotism!

JAI HIND!

Girish said...

@Kashyap: You made a good point :)